Attention homebrewers who own dogs: Did you know hops can be dangerous and even fatal when ingested by dogs? As a fledgling homebrewer and dog owner, this article caught my eye.
Essentially, you shouldn’t just leave hops laying around where your dog can get them. And that goes for unused or spent hops. There have been documented cases of golden retrievers and greyhounds having very bad reactions, notably a condition that causes a rapid and severe rise in the dog’s internal temperature.
Here is a very interesting and, I would presume expensive, account of a dog battling off the effects of ingesting spent hops.
I think it’s safe to say you should not feed your dog the remnants of that bottle of IPA you didn’t finish, either.