1. Kansas (2-10, last week — bye): Wanted — coach not afraid to have his team beaten down repeatedly for two or three years. You may be fired before we find out about year three.
2. Texas Tech (5-7, last week — bye): Prediction: If Tech finds itself out of the bowl picture again next year, Tuberville will find his way out of Lubbock.
3. Iowa State (6-6, last week — lost to Kansas State 30-23): Scrappy Cyclones scrapped to the end against scrappy Kansas State in the Scrappy McScrapperson Bowl.
4. Texas A&M (6-6, last week — bye): Talk about heading off to the SEC West on a high note, right?
5. Texas (7-5, last week — lost to Baylor 48-24): Bowl eligibility is nice, but I don’t think this was the type of bounce-back season the Longhorns were hoping for. In fact, I’m pretty sure 12-12 over the past two seasons is pretty much a disaster in Austin.
6. Missouri (7-5, last week — bye): Say hello — and goodbye — to America’s quietest team. They put together a somehow way-under-the-radar 10-win season a year ago, put up an unmemorable 7-win season this year and now quietly slink off to the SEC.
7. Oklahoma (9-3, last week — lost to Oklahoma State 9-3): Tough close to the regular season for OU. In the end, they didn’t bring enough fight to the field in Bedlam.
8. Baylor (9-3, last week — beat Texas 48-24): It pains me to rank Baylor this low in the poll. The Sooners leave me no choice.
9. Kansas State (10-2, last week — beat Iowa State 30-23): A lot like how OSU came from nowhere the year before, Kansas State really came from nowhere this year. Who would have thought after they opened the season by barely squeaking by Eastern Kentucky?
10. Oklahoma State (11-1, last week — beat Oklahoma 44-10): A near dream season for OSU capped with a dream win. Cowboys will need to fight the “We’re just happy to be here mentality.” The BCS snub should do just the trick to light a fire over the next month.