I debated even doing a ranking today. You know, since none of the teams in the Big 12 are named Alabama or LSU, why even bother writing about them. I mean, after all, what will the rest of us ever know about missing four field goals and setting the forward pass back 70 years?
1. Kansas (2-7, last week — lost to Iowa State 13-10): Kansas and Iowa State looked like they were auditioning for the Game of the Century with this offensive outburst.
2. Missouri (4-5, last week — lost to Baylor 42-39): Good thing Missouri and A&M are heading off to the SEC together, because apparently A&M is the only Big 12 team Missouri can beat.
3. Texas Tech (5-4, last week — lost to Texas 52-20): Can someone — anyone! — explain to me how Texas Tech beat OU in Norman?
4. Iowa State (5-4, last week — beat Kansas 13-10): A win is a win in conference, but barely sneaking by Kansas at home should count for a little less of a win.
5 . Texas A&M (5-4, last week — lost to Oklahoma 41-25): Remember at the start of the year how A&M was supposed to have like the greatest team in the history of the world? What happened to that?
6. Baylor (5-3, last week — beat Missouri 42-39): Baylor is 0-3 in conference road games, and that looks to change coming up Saturday at Kansas. Then the Bears have an interesting schedule — they finish with three straight home games: OU, Tech and Texas. An eight-win season is not out of the question, but I’m thinking 7-5 for Da Bears.
7. Texas (6-2, last week — beat Texas Tech 52-20): The Texas vs. Kansas State game will likely be huge to determine who goes to the Cotton Bowl.
8. Kansas State (7-2, last week — lost to Oklahoma State 52-45): Say what you want about the Wildcats, but you can’t say they’re not scrappy.
9. Oklahoma (8-1, last week — beat Texas A&M 41-25): Come on down OU! You’re the next contestant to send A&M limping off to the SEC with its tail between its legs.
10. Oklahoma State (9-0, last week — beat Kansas State 52-45): Just another ho-hum offensive shootout with like 23 touchdowns scored in the last five minutes of the game.