The Big 12 conference schedule got underway in part this past weekend, and right now we’ve got OSU and OU tied atop the standings. Will they still be tied atop the standings when they meet Dec. 3? The only sure thing is that there’s a long way to go between now and then. Well, there is one more sure thing: This week’s Big 12 (Lack of) Power Poll!
1. Kansas (2-1, last week — bye): The sting of Kansas’ historic beat-down at the hands of Georgia Tech in week three lingers. The Yellowjackets’ win should be revoked, however, after Georgia Tech had T-shirts made to commemorate the win. The win against Kansas. Most. Unnecessary. T-shirt. Ever.
2. Texas Tech (3-0, last week — beat Nevada 35-34): Tech had to rally late to knock off Nevada in Lubbock. Not an encouraging sign for the Red Raiders, who already succeeded in looking non-impressive in their first two games.
3. Iowa State (3-0, last week — bye): Iowa State has a big-time chance to vault itself into the polls if it can make it two straight wins over Texas. Wait, did Iowa State really win in Austin last year? Ah yes, that was a horrific season for the Longhorns last year.
4. Missouri (2-2, last week — lost to Oklahoma 38-28): Missouri is probably better than its record shows.
5. Kansas State (3-0, last week — beat Miami 28-24): Impressive road win for the Wildcats, who all the sudden look pretty frisky.
6. Texas (3-0, last week — bye): Texas might think it has its quarterback situation solved. Not so fast, my friends. If Iowa State doesn’t expose the Longhorns, OU will the next week.
7. Texas A&M (2-1, last week, lost to Oklahoma State 30-29): So many snide comments to be made about A&M going to the SEC. At least the Aggies are already comfortable being in the middle of the pack.
8. Baylor (3-0, last week — beat Rice 56-31): Baylor reminds me of OSU from four or five years ago. Plenty of offense, no defense. Works great against the likes of Rice and Stephen F. Austin, not so much against the top-tier teams in your conference.
9. Oklahoma State (4-0, last week — beat Texas A&M 30-29): Do all big-time receivers eventually start to go crazy once they become good?
10. Oklahoma (3-0, last week — beat Missouri 38-28): I know OU fans think their team should win all games by 4o points, but any conference win is a good win in the end. Relax, people.