The annual ZooBrew beer tasting event — now in its third year — is set for Sept. 30 at the Oklahoma City Zoo. I had a chance this week to ask Dana McCrory, executive director of the Oklahoma Zoological Society and ZooBrew organizer, a few questions about the event.
1. The Thirsty Beagle: ZooBrew III is a mere week away now – is it too late for people to get tickets, and how do they go about doing that?
Dana McCrory: It is not too late to get tickets. We have about 100 tickets left for ZooBrew! You can call 425-0612 or go online to zoofriends.com.
2. TTB: Last year’s event benefited the new ZooZeum; where will proceeds go this year?
DM: The proceeds from ZooBrew III will still benefit the ZooZeum. The ZooZeum is an ever-changing museum and proceeds are used for new exhibits, recording of zoo archives and special projects.
3. TTB: It looks like the biggest change compared to last year is the addition of Pre-Brew. Could you explain what that is?
DM: Pre-Brew sold out after just a couple of days! Pre-Brew is a higher priced ticket opened up for 75 individuals to come in and taste a few high-end beers from the distributors and then stay for ZooBrew. Pre-Brew helps us raise more money for our great museum.
4. TTB: Are there any other changes this year patrons should be on the lookout for?
DM: The band will be on the east patio and there will be more room to dance and enjoy an evening at the zoo. We will also be offering food selections outside.
5. TTB: Lastly, let’s talk about beer selection. What should guests expect in terms of offerings and number of choices?
DM: We have a great line-up of over 35 different beers. People can expect a great selection of Oklahoma beers, including Mustang, Coop, Huebert and Choc. Bricktown Brewery will be on hand and we also have Stella Artois, Widmer beers, Redhook, Sam Adams, Abita, Strong Bow, Gulden Draak, Kwak, La Trappe, Big Sky, Boulevard, Estrella and Sea Dog … just to name a few!
Thanks Dana! If you love the zoo, and who doesn’t, then this is a great event to get out and support. ZooBrew III is 6:30 to 9 p.m. Tickets are $30 for ZooFriends members, $35 for nonmembers and $10 for designated drivers.