Last week I brought you Five Questions With… ARTonTAP to get you up to speed on the Oklahoma City Museum of Art’s fundraising beer event. This week, beer is back, people! My next Five Questions With… features Dana McCrory, executive director of the Oklahoma Zoological Society, the organizers of Zoo Brew II. The second annual event is set for Friday night at the Oklahoma City Zoo.
1. The Thirsty Beagle: First off, are there many tickets still available? How can someone go about getting tickets? Are you capping attendance?
Dana McCrory: There are a few tickets still available. You can get tickets online at www.zoofriends.com or by calling 425-0618. We are capping attendance at 500. Each attendee will get a commemorative tasting mug.
2. TTB: Where do proceeds from the event go? What kind of programs are supported?
DM: The proceeds from Zoo Brew II go to the new Zoo Museum opening on zoo grounds in Spring 2011. The museum will house the history of the Oklahoma City Zoo.
3. TTB: Last year was the first year for Zoo Brew; is there anything you guys learned and perhaps have tried to improve or do differently this year?
DM: In our inaugural year we modeled the event after other beer tasting events at zoos across the nation. We sold out at 300 tickets last year so we raised the cap to 500 this year. We have also added more Oklahoma beers, a variety of foods, longer playing times for the band and London Limousine Taxi rides to insure the safety of our guests. We’ve expanded the tasting to the patio and added a few outdoor lights to liven the outside scene.
4. TTB: Can you give readers a feel for how many/what types of beers will be there?
DM: At last count we will have over 50 different types of beers to taste! From mild to stout — we have a beer that will cover your preference!
5. TTB: Lastly, how do you feel about the recent growth of the local beer scene, with the guys from Choc, COOP, Mustang, Marshall and Battered Boar? What kind of impact does that local presence have on the event
DM: The recent growth of the beer scene has been such a boon to our fundraising events. ZooFriends is over 20,000 members strong and Zoo Brew was an event requested by many of our members. The presence of the Oklahoma beers is key. Many of the breweries and beers have loyal followers and they may come to Zoo Brew to follow their favorite beer and leave as a donor to our amazing Oklahoma City Zoo!
Thanks, Dana! There you have it folks — tickets are still available for Zoo Brew II, so get yours and get out to the zoo on Friday to support the cause and enjoy some fine beer.