The Thirsty Beagle’s Big 12 (Lack of) Power Poll churns on this week, a lot like OSU’s offensive line churns on. Wait, this poll is actually making progress and moving forward, so maybe it’s not at all like OSU’s offensive line.
1. Kansas State (1-2, lost to UCLA 23-9; next, vs. Tennessee Tech) Kansas State now enters the easy part of its schedule. That would be this weekend against Tennessee Tech. After that, back to regularly scheduled losing.
2. Colorado (1-2, beat Wyoming 24-0; next, bye) Buffs next three games: at West Virginia, at Texas and vs. Kansas. Soak it in boys, because it won’t take long to have that winning feeling washed away.
3. Baylor (2-1, lost to Connecticut 30-22; next, vs. Northwestern State) Thank you, football gods, for returning a sense of normalcy to the planet! A world where the Baylor Bears run wild in college football is no place for me.
4. Iowa State (2-1, beat Kent State 34-14; next, vs. Army) Plan the parade route in Ames: Cyclones three games in and have already equaled last season’s win total. Of course, they started 2-0 last year before losing 10 straight, so maybe we should hold off on the parade for a few more weeks.
5. Texas A&M (2-0, beat Utah State 38-30; next, vs. UAB) The Thirsty Beagle called the A&M-Utah State game the upset special of the week. Almost nailed that one.
6. Oklahoma State (2-1, beat Rice 41-24; next, vs. Grambling) Cowboys played throwback football on Saturday. They took it back to the late 90s, when the 2-yard run up the middle was all the rage in Stillwater. You heard it hear first: OSU will finish 7-5 at best this season.
7. Missouri (3-0, beat Furman 52-12; next, at Nevada) Beating Furman in football is like beating your kid brother in tether ball. It doesn’t really say a lot.
8. Nebraska (2-1, lost to Virginia Tech 16-15; next, vs. Louisiana-Lafayette) Hard-luck Nebraska played solid defense on the road, except for that time when they gave up the game-winning touchdown with time running out. But I’m pretty sure Husker fans will still remember the first 59 minutes of the game as being pretty darn cool.
9. Oklahoma (2-1, beat Tulsa 45-0; next, bye) Tulsa players obviously got a sneak preview of the team’s cheesy new mascot before playing OU. How else to explain their general beffudlement and distraction on the field?
10. Kansas (3-0, beat Duke 44-16; next, vs. Southern Miss) Kansas declined Duke’s suggestion that the Jayhawks start several basketball players. There’s no assurance that actually would have helped Duke keep the score closer.
11. Texas Tech (2-1, lost to Texas 34-24; next, at Houston) Sure they lost, and sure Colt McCoy was recovering from a case of the flu, but give Tech some props. Starting a new quarterback hasn’t kept The System from fielding good teams in the past. Looks like that streak continues.
12. Texas (3-0, beat Texas Tech 34-24; next, vs. UTEP) Texas! North of Mexico, home of the armadillo!