It was a good week for Big 12 football teams. Unless you were Oklahoma or Colorado, the only conference schools to lose during Week 1. So without further delay, let’s get to The Thirsty Beagle’s Big 12 (Lack of) Power Poll:
1. Colorado (Lost to Colorado State 23-17; next, at Toledo): Buffs lose to in-state rival, then have their home field stormed by opposing fans. Definitely lacking in power.
2. Oklahoma (Lost to BYU 14-13; next, vs. Idaho State): Sooners lose game and quarterback. Now they have no quarterback, maybe no tight end, maybe no cohesion on offensive line. Maybe Idaho State will help get them back on track.
3. Kansas State (Beat UMASS 21-17; next, at Louisiana-Lafayette): As if barely squeaking by UMASS wasn’t bad enough, Wildcats have to go to Louisiana-Lafayette. Is this Louisiana-Lafayette’s first ever non-conference home game?
4. Iowa State (Beat North Dakota State 34-17; next, vs. Iowa): Cyclones get win, finally, albeit against minor-league foe. Will Iowa bring reality back to Ames, or can Iowa State finish the job where fellow in-stater Northern Iowa could not?
5. Baylor (Beat Wake Forest 24-21; next, bye): All fear the Baylor Bear uprising. Look out for Heisman dark horse Robert Griffin. Baylor is a team on the rise. Blah, blah, blah. The Thirsty Beagle is not ready for a world where Baylor has a legitimate football program.
6. Texas A&M (Beat New Mexico 41-6; next, bye): OK, I did not see this one coming. It’s great fun to bash Texas A&M, you know, with their crazy belief that they are one of the top college football programs in the world, but there’s not a lot a hater can say after a thrashing like that.
7. Texas Tech (Beat North Dakota 38-13; next, vs. Rice): Only scoring 38 against North Dakota? Heck, Iowa State put up 34 against North Dakota State. Could be trouble brewing in Lubbock, and I’m not talking about a salad-bar throw down with Bobby Knight.
8. Missouri (Beat Illinois 37-9; next, vs. Bowling Green): Either Illinois really sucks, which is possible, since they are a Big 10 school, or Missouri may be a little better than expected.
9. Nebraska (Beat FAU 49-3; next, vs. Arkansas State): Huskers dominate in season-opener, now turn attention to puff pastry No. 2 on their schedule. Better build up some confidence before trip to Virginia Tech.
10. Kansas (Beat Northern Colorado 49-3; next, at UTEP): The Thirsty Beagle thinks Kansas could ge a little frisky this year, but Nebraska, and all of the sudden Missouri, will put up a fight.
11. Oklahoma State (Beat Georgia 24-10; next, vs. Houston): ESPN.com projects OSU in the Fiesta Bowl. First, OSU needs to show they can stop the pass, and Zac Robinson needs to show he won’t hang receivers out to dry repeatedly with wobbly, looping throws.
12. Texas (Beat Louisiana-Monroe 59-20; next, at Wyoming): Longhorns can’t cover spread against Louisiana-Monroe. Let’s hear it: “Fire Mack Brown!”