The Thirsty Beagle today is introducing a new weekly feature on the blog: The Big 12 (Lack of) Power Poll. I think the name says it all. I’ll rate the Big 12 football teams each week based on my scientific, labyrinthian, BCS-like formula, then provide a breakdown of the standings for you. Let’s get this thing started!
1. Iowa State (This week: vs. North Dakota State): North Dakota State has a track record of beating bowl division teams. Iowa State has a habit of beating, ummhh, … well, they sure do look sharp in those new uniforms.
2. Baylor (This week: at Wake Forest): As far as The Thirsty Beagle is concerned, you gotta earn your spot in the Big 12′s mediocrity club.
3. Texas A&M (This week: vs. New Mexico): Recruiting services rank A&M’s 2010 class highly; football coaches are dismayed to find out they can’t field a team of oral commits.
4. Kansas State (This week: vs. UMass): Like many teams, Kansas State deals with injury bug during fall camp. The good news: Doctors clear coach Snyder to get up and around on game day.
5. Colorado (This week: vs. Colorado State): Coach Hawkins pre-game speech: “Go play intramurals, brother! Oops. I mean, go play Colorado State, brother!”
6. Missouri (This week: vs. Illinois): Team underachieves last year with star players Daniels, Maclin, Coffman; team will underachieve this year with star players, ummhh, … hey, how about that snazzy tiger mascot?!
7. Nebraska (This week: vs. Florida Atlantic): Ridiculously polite fans will only get you so far, TTB isn’t sold on apparent Husker turnaround.
8. Kansas (This week: vs. Northern Colorado): Kansas looks weak and lethargic on the field. Seems as though players haven’t been eating well. Where is all the food from the training table? It’s a great mystery.
9. Texas Tech (This week: vs. North Dakota): This week’s No. 9 spot brought to you by O’Flanagan’s Wholesale Pirate Supplies, proud sponsor of Mike Leach’s weekly coach’s show.
10. Oklahoma State (This week: vs. Georgia): When Gundy institutes media ban, that doesn’t mean no one will find out if you speed through the streets of Stillwater with no insurance and no license.
11. Oklahoma (This week: vs. BYU): Thirsty Beagle has just as many career starts at center as OU’s starting center.
12. Texas (This week: vs. Louisiana-Monroe): Texas stakes claim this week to top (lack of) power match-up. The Longhorns are only favored by 41.5 points.