The ASPCA has announced the top poisoning agents of pets, and human medicine takes two of the top three spots. The Animal Poison Control Center took 165,000 calls last year, and about 1 in 4 were related to medicine. Here’s the ASPCA’s top 10:
- Prescription medicine for humans.
- Over-the-counter medicine for humans.
- People food. The top culprit: chocolate. Don’t celebrate Valentine’s day by making your cat throw up.
- Household items. This includes things like paint and fire logs.
- Veterinary products.
- Lawn and garden products.
- Automotive products.
The ASPCA’s poison control line is open 24 hours a day at (888-426-4435).