It seems like the campaign to get the Obama girls a puppy lasted longer than the campaign to get Obama in the White House. But finally – FINALLY – the family has chosen a dog.
The first dog will be a Portuguese water dog.
Our diplomatic relations with Portugal just shot through the roof. The Portuguese love us now!
First Lady Michelle Obama reportedly told People magazine that they chose the breed because it’s good-natured, medium-sized and hypoallergenic. The Obamas will pick up their new pooch some time in April, after they return from a Spring Break vacation.
Some fun facts about Portuguese water dogs:
- They were bred for, surprisingly, water work. They were used to dive for broken fishing net, to carry messages from boats to the shore and to guard boats.
- It has waterproof fur.
- The breed was first recognized by the American Kennel Club in 1983.
- Its coat can be curly or wavy.
- Its the 69th most popular dog breed in America and is climbing the ranks. The Obama choice is likely to draw even more attention to the breed.
- The Top 10 most popular dog breeds in Washington, D.C., are from first to last: Labrador retriever, boxer, golden retriever, poodle, Yorkshire terrier, shih tzu, bulldog, German shepherd, chow chow, pug and cocker spaniel. Maybe the Portuguese water dog will break the Top 10 next year.
Staff Writer Carrie Coppernoll