While researching a column about phobis, I discovered a list of animal phobias. Of course, many folks are scared of certain kinds of animals. I was petrified of dogs when I was growing up because my dad’s neighbors had chows that chased me when I rode my bike. But like many childhood fears, it faded. Now I own a dog that’s part chow. But not everyone’s fears pass with time. Some people suffer from zoophobia – the fear of all animals. (The term sounds fake but it isn’t!) Here’s a list of some interesting animal phobias:
* Allurophobia, fear of cats.
* Chiroptophobia, fear of bats.
* Cynophobia, fear of dogs.
* Equinophobia/hippophobia, fear of horses.
* Herpetophobia, fear of reptiles.
* Ichthyophobia, fear of fish.
* Musophobia, fear of mice or rats. My mother has a severe case of this.
* Ophidiophobia, fear of snakes. I have a severe case of this.
* Omithophobia, fear of birds.
* Ranidaphobia, fear of frogs.
I understand all of those, but there’s one phobia I can’t understand: lutraphobia. The fear of otters. Who doesn’t love an otter? To that end, here the best video of otters ever. These little guys at the Vancouver Aquarium love to hold hands. Apparently they aren’t lutraphobes.
- Staff Writer Carrie Coppernoll