This homicide map details the first 48 homicides of 2012. As of today, Sept. 30, there have been 70. We are tracking to break a decade-old record of 75 homicides in a year, set in 2009. More on that in this article. And below, view the map.
What’s The Beat?Welcome. I'm Juliana Keeping, and I report on murder and mayhem in Oklahoma City for The Oklahoman. There is a lot of weirdness and sadness and, strangely, charm and *sometimes* a glimmer of hope to be found in the people and events I cover. Much of it stays in my head, or my notebook. Perhaps it's time I give it all some fresh air. Besides airing out my brain, I'd also like to keep tabs on major stories, track OKC crime trends, and shed light on behind-the-scenes reporterly things that hopefully aren't dull. BTW the ladies in the photo bar up top were busted in July 2012 on complaints of offering or engaging in lewd acts at a Valley Brook strip joint, in case you were wondering. I reserve the right to post the occasional cat video. Because we all need a mental break sometimes. If you have a tip related to crime, e-mail email@example.com. Thanks for reading, Juliana
- Nita Normore on Exploring Oklahoma City’s homicide rate
- Tinasha Williams on A few wild allegations surface against an Oklahoma City principal
- Jim on Oklahoma City police cadet Kelley Chase, 38, dies after training exercise accident
- Juliana Keeping on New details in the slaying of Jasen Yousif
- Daniel Foote on New details in the slaying of Jasen Yousif