A little rain is not going to hurt you — especially when you can save 30 percent off the entire stock of permanently reduced merchandise at Dillard’s. Run, don’t walk. And take an umbrella.
With Christmas Day 9 days away, it is time to get serious about holiday shopping. If you are ahead of the crowd and are already finished, kudos to you! However, if you are like myself, there are at least a few items that remain on a loved one’s wish list. Here are the top ten holiday shopping tips from the National Retail Federation:
1. Shop after 6:00 pm the evening before a sale is advertised to begin. Many retailers program the registers the night before, so the sale may already come up in the system despite there being promotional advertisements displayed around the sales floor.
2. Prepare a list to use while you are shopping, be sure to include alternative choices in case of stock-outs.
3. Take advantage of stores’ extended hours and shop during these times. This helps avoid crowds.
4. If you are looking for a specific advertised item, bring the advertisement with you. That way you do not end up with the wrong item or in the wrong store.
5. Always use gift receipts in the case the merchandise needs to be returned or exchanged.
6. Remember when gift shopping you are buying for someone else’s wants and needs, not your own.
7. Shop safely! Watch your personal belongings including handbags and purchases. Stores are not responsible for any lost items.
8. Save yourself some time for other to-d0′s on your holiday agenda, let the charity group at the mall wrap your gifts.
9. When shopping online, have your credit card and address book available at your fingertips. Many websites have timed windows to complete shipping and billing information.
10. Wear comfortable shoes! You will be walking a lot on tile and marble flooring.
Hope these tips are found to be helpful!
Crystal VanZandt (Linda Miller’s winter break intern)
Marshalls in south Oklahoma City is offering 25 percent off all clearance items through Nov. 22.
The store is at 240 Penn Park Mall, 1425 W I-240, between Pennsylvania and Western. The phone number is 681-1679.
On A Whim will celebrate its 11th anniversary Nov. 21 with champagne punch and cookies while visitors learn about the design and manufacturing of MacKenzie-Childs pieces.
MacKenzie-Childs CEO Lee Feldman will be in the store, as well as representative Janine Irwin. Shoppers will receive a Courtly Check enamelware key chain with a MacKenzie-Childs purchase of more than $50. The first 25 customers with a purchase of more than $300 will receive a complimentary MacKenzie-Childs ceramic teapot trivet.
The celebration also includes a Troo trunk show featuring crystal embellished scarves and yoga clothing.
On A Whim is at 7118 N Western in Oklahoma City. The phone number is 848-3488.
As the holidays edge closer and you find yourself looking for cheap, unusual or special fashion and beauty gifts, check out the Fashion Matters blog at blog.newsok.com/fashionmatters. It’s chockful of ideas.
Chef Jeff van Glabbeek
Salad…. note the roasted garlic cloves.
Their new menu features lamb, salmon and chicken
Yummy chocolate dessert served by Terri Oak
Helen Ford Wallace, Social Columnist
Who says you can’t go back? Sears is bringing back layaway after discontinuing it in 1989.
For more information, go to the Sears Web site.
Why wait until after Thanksgiving for serious shopping? JCPenney’s Biggest Sale of Them All started Wednesday and continues through Nov. 10.
Highlights of the sale include:
* Stores open from 6 a.m. to midnight on Saturday.
* Free shipping on orders of $69 or more through Nov. 10 at jcp.com (customers must enter code 41FS69 when prompted at checkout).
* Through Saturday, get an additional 15 percent off if you use your JCPenney credit card with a weekly sales circular coupon or receive 10 percent off if you use any other form of payment with weekly sales circular coupon.
* On Sunday or Monday, get an additional $15 off a single purchase of $75 or more with weekly sales circular coupon or an additional $10 off a single purchase of $50 or more with a weekly sales circular coupon.
* Along with an array of doorbusters, get an extra 10 percent off all sale prices from 6 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday.
* “Buy One, Get One” for 99 cents offer on a variety of women’s apparel, women’s accessories, juniors, fine jewelry, footwear, men’s, children’s and home items.
* Discounts between 25 to 60 percent on women’s, men’s, children’s, fine jewelry and home merchandise.
Here’s a deal worth exploring.
Spend $200 on your Discover Card and get a $20 Discover gift card at participating malls nationwide from Nov. 1 through Jan. 4. You can get up to 5 gift cards.
There are five participating malls in Oklahoma — Quail Springs in Oklahoma City, Sooner Mall in Norman, Shawnee Mall in Shawnee, Tulsa Promenade in Tulsa and Central Mall in Lawton.
For details, check www.discovercard.com/mallpromo/index.html