As Congress and the White House move closer to a shutdown, hundreds of thousands of federal employees are waiting to hear whether they will be furloughed.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, there are 1.9 million federal employees, not counting the U.S. Postal Service workers and those who work for spy agencies such as the CIA and National Security Agency.
About half of the civilian workforce is with the Department of Defense and Veterans Affairs Department.
Here are some numbers, from November 2008:
- Defense Department: 652,000
- Veterans Affairs Department: 280,000
- Homeland Security Department: 171,000
- Justice Department: 108,000
- Treasury Department: 88,000
- Agriculture Department: 82,000
- Interior Department: 67,000
- Health and Human Services Department: 64,000
- Transportation Department: 55,000
- Commerce Department: 39,000
- Labor Department: 16,000
- Energy Department: 15,000
- State Department: 15,000
- Housing and Urban Development Department: 9,000
- Education Department: 4,000
_ Congress: 30,000
_ Judicial Branch: 33,000
- Environmental Protection Agency: 18,000
- Social Security Administration: 64,000
- NASA : 18,000