Politico.com surveyed U.S. senators about whether they had had tax problems in the past. Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Muskogee, had an interesting and humorous response (note: Coburn left the House in Jan. 2001).
SEN. TOM COBURN (R-Okla.)
- Do you prepare your own taxes? No.
- If not, who does? He has an accountant.
- Have you or the IRS ever discovered an error on a tax return you’ve filed? See below.
- Have you ever paid back taxes? No.
- If the answer to either 3 or 4 is yes, please explain.
After Dr. Coburn left the House, the House continued to pay him for three months. Apparently, they were very pleased with his service. However, because the payments were made in error Dr. Coburn returned all of the checks to Treasury. Yet, the House sent a W-2 to the IRS, but not to Coburn, reporting income that had been returned. After a long fight, the House and the IRS admitted their error and the IRS sent Coburn a corrected W-2. This is the government in charge of “stimulating” our economy.