Camping fees likely will be increased at the Chickasaw National Recreation Area near Sulphur.
The National Park Service is proposing a hike in camping fees. If approved, the following new fee rates will go into effect in the spring of 2010.
The proposed camping fees would be an increase of $2.00 for individual sites and $6.00 for group sites.
• Lakeview premium campsites with electric utility hook-ups will be $24.00 per night. (Buckhorn Loop D #24, 25, 26 & Loop C #4, 5, 6, 7 and the Point #20, 21, 22, 23, 24)
• Campsites with electric utility hook-ups will be $22.00 per night. (Buckhorn and the Point Campgrounds, and one site at Rock Creek Campground)
• Campsites without electric utility hook-ups will be $16.00 per night at the Buckhorn and the Point Campgrounds.
• Campsites without electric utility hook-ups will be $14.00 per night at the Cold Springs, Guy Sandy, & Rock Creek Campgrounds.
• All group campsites will be $30.00 per night. (Rock Creek, Cold Springs & Central Campgrounds)
One hundred percent of the camping fees collected are returned to Chickasaw National Recreation Area.
The fee increase will cover increased utility costs for electricity and provide additional revenue which will be applied to the highest priority visitor needs, park officials said.
The funds are used for maintenance, repair projects, public service programs, signage, and natural and historical resource preservation.
Before the fees can be raised, the park must solicit public input on the changes.
Questions and/or comments may be submitted in writing by mail to: Superintendent, Chickasaw National Recreation Area, 1008 W. Second Street, Sulphur, OK 73086-4814
Comments also may be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Include the phrase “Camping Fee Increase” at the top of the comments or the email subject line.
Comments will be accepted until January 15.