We’re hiring a new University of Oklahoma football writer, again.
Travis Haney is leaving to become a national college football writer at ESPN. We’ll miss Travis. Like our readers, I appreciate the job he did covering the Sooners.
Travis caught ESPN’s eye in the one season he spent with us because of his talent, the visibility of the Oklahoma football beat and the tools and platform The Oklahoman and NewsOK affords our reporters. The amount of newspaper space we devote to college football is second to none, as are our video and multimedia platforms. And the content we produce is strong.
Recently, the Associated Press Sports Editors judged The Oklahoman to be among the top 10 for daily, Sunday and special sections. We’ve also been judged among the top 10 for websites with more than 2 million unique visitors. We are one of four papers in the country to achieve the so-called APSE “grand-slam,” joining the New York Times, the Boston Globe and Omaha World-Herald.
This is a good place to work and one of the most visible college football beats in the country. You can read the job description below.
I’ll have more to say on this opening later, and I’m also interested in your feedback on what you look for from our OU coverage.
OU FOOTBALL WRITER
The Oklahoman is hiring a strong storyteller and passionate journalist to cover University of Oklahoma football for our award-winning sports section and website, NewsOK.com. Our next OU football writer will engage readers across all platforms by:
– Breaking news on the No. 1 reader-interest topic we cover;
– Writing memorable features, enterprise, project and game stories;
– Making our OU blog a must-read throughout the day, every day;
– Building deep relationships with sources and readers using social media and old-fashioned tools like conversation;
– Being as comfortable in front of a camera as behind one;
– Contributing to and collaborating with a team of journalists to serve a readership captivated by sports and how we cover it.
If you’re committed to all this and helping us get better, please send a cover letter, writing samples and examples of your best digital work to: