Nothing official yet, but for the second time in a week I’ve been told that Oklahoma City’s new American Hockey League team will be named the Barons.
I heard it at the Ford Center last Friday before Game 6 of the NBA Playoff series between the Thunder and Lakers. The Oklahoman columnist Jenni Carlson got an email to the same effect today.
If it’s true, I’ve got a couple thoughts:
– Sounds good to me.
– I hope the colors are black and gold.
– The Barons made the final four of our Name the Team bracket in The Oklahoman and NewsOK back in 2008, when the team were were naming was the NBA franchise about to move here from Seattle. Personally, it was my second favorite for the squad now known as the Thunder. My personal ballot:
1) Thunderbirds: Still the best name and could have been shortened to be just Thunder too. Think of all the combination. Thunder, Birds, T-birds. I would have also honored the military (the Oklahoma-based National Guard 45th Infantry Division is nicknamed the Thunderbirds). I like it so much, I wish the AHL had chosen it.
2) Barons: I think it fits with the state’s Oil Barons past, plus it just sounded cool. I don’t blame Clay Bennett and Co. for not choosing this given all that went down in Seattle. I still like how Kevin Durant looked in this faux Barons uniform. To this point, we know of know smoking-gun emails, trials over leases or online documentaries associated with this new franchise, so we’re probably all clear on the Barons image.
3) Thunder: Don’t care for singular nicknames, but I have to admit this has grown on me.
4) Outlaws: Non-starter, but remember our contest was an online polling of readers to get down to a Final Four and a winner.
By the way, the winner was: the Thunder. So, NewsOK readers, you can say you named OKC’s NBA team and offered the AHL a good suggestion.