Just heard Thunder point guard Russell Westbrook on ESPN’s First Take. A summary of Westbrook’s conversation with host Jay Crawford.
– On the excitment over playing the Lakers in the first round of the playoffs, Westbrook said the Thunder is excited to “play our brand of basketball.”
– On whether Phil Jackson’s comments about Kevin Durant and officiating motivated Durant and how dangerous KD is when he’s fired up: “He’s been dangerous all season to me. He’s dangerous as it is.”
– On whether he’s the Thunder’s most significant player not named Durant: “I guess it’s a compliment.”
– On the tired question of whether he’s a point guard or a scorer: “I’ve been playing point all my life. That’s the position I grew up knowning. I’m at the highest level and I’m trying to learn the position even more.”
– On whether he’d pay teammate Nick Collison for jersey No. 4, the number he grew up wearing because there are four members of his family: “I ain’t going to pay for it.”
– On his skills as a bowler: I’m the best on this team, I can say that much.” Westbrook said his high game is 279 “bowling by myself, but I’ve got it on paper.”