Over at Chris’ Bookmarking blog, there seems to be a poetry controversy going on, just the fact we can have a poetry controversy is a good thing. On most days it’s hard to get anyone to talk about poetry, must less post on the internet about it, or have an opinion.
My favorite from the Inauguration, was the music based on the Shaker song by Elder Joseph called “Simple Gifts”.
- ‘Tis the gift to be simple, ’tis the gift to be free,
- ‘Tis the gift to come down where you ought to be,
- And when we find ourselves in the place just right,
- ‘Twill be in the valley of love and delight.
- When true simplicity is gain’d,
- To bow and to bend we shan’t be asham’d,
- To turn, turn will be our delight,
- Till by turning, turning we come round right.
Beautiful stuff, no controversy.