It’s time to see how much attention you’ve been paying to the news in the past week or so. From The Oklahoman’s news copy editors and designers, here’s a quiz.
1. A Vinita elementary school is offering 30 minutes more instruction every day — almost 15 more school days per year — by:
a) Starting a half-hour earlier.
b) Eliminating recess and gym.
c) Rearranging the day, including having recess before lunch.
2. A new Norman eatery has an unusual theme:
a) No animals were harmed in the making of the entrees.
b) The customers are dogs.
c) It serves only macaroni and cheese.
3. A study from Oklahoma State University says Tulsa could benefit $13 million a year if it:
a) Gets a new Imax theater downtown.
b) Builds a downtown ballpark for the Dr illers.
c) Charges tolls on all area highways.
4. Pew Research Center findings suggest just 35 percent of Americans over 65 are:
a) Internet users.
5. China says it will enact even tougher rules in the coming weeks to curb:
a) International adoptions.
b) Anti-government protests.
c) Air pollution in Beijing.
6. This was the name of the plane Wiley Post flew alone around the world 75 years ago:
a) The Spirit of Oklahoma
b) Winnie Mae
c) Ellie Mae
7. A foot treatment in a D.C.-area spa uses these:
a) Slices of cucumber and yogurt sauce.
b) Tiny nibbling fish, known as garra rufa.
c) Comfortable shoes, as most bunions are caused by footwear that pinches
8. In the 2004 Super Bowl Janet Jackson wardrobe malfunction case, an appeals court has:
a) Thrown out the $550,000 indecency fine against CBS.
b) Doubled the fine.
c) Suggested the fine be used to buy Jackson some clothes with better coverage.
9. While a California home burned, firefighters had to search for a usable fire hydrant because:
a) Water pressure is down everywhere because of shortages.
b) They’re analog technology, and young firefighters only know digital.
c) Metal thieves are stealing the brass nuts used to turn on the water.
10. As the economy worsens, Americans are turning to an Earth- and budget-friendly lifestyle called The Compact, in which participants pledge to:
a) Walk everywhere for a year.
b) Avoid buying anything new.
c) Plant food gardens instead of lawns.
11 Texas oilman Boone Pickens wants to attract Americans’ attention to the need for:
a) Nuclear power.
b) Finding more domestic reserves to power our increasing dependence on fossil fuels.
c) Smoothing the way for wind power and gas-powered vehicles.
12. At $3.83 a gallon, gas prices in Oklahoma are:
a) About the national average.
b) Lower than Texas and everywhere else in the U.S.
c) Higher than the average gallon of milk.
13. According a Pew Research poll, six out of 10 Chinese believe:
a) The government should restrict access to Olympic tickets.
b) It’s OK to eat dog, as long as it isn’t one you know.
c) China will replace the U.S. as the world’s dominant superpower.
14. The U.N. estimates that 3.5 million people in Somalia soon will need this:
a) Food aid as prices for staples soar, and the drought continues.
b) A place to live, as seasonal rains are wiping out whole villages.
c) Cable boxes to convert to digital TV.
15. Former Bosnian Serb leader Radovan Karadzic, wanted for war crimes, was discovered in disguise an d working as:
a) Counter help in a Belgrade McDonald’s.
b) A practitioner of alternative medicine in a private clinic.
c) A minor functionary in the tax collection agency.
16. To satisfy consumer demand, Walmart will be selling more of this:
a) Gasoline at a discount for people who drive American cars.
b) Fresh produce from local farmers.
c) i-electronics such as the iphone.
17. Ford built 15 million cars with a Model T engine, a production run that wasn’t surpassed until the:
a) Volkswagen Beetle in 1972.
b) Ford Taurus in 1985.
c) Toyota Camry in 2005.
18. Two billionaire philanthropists, Bill Gates and Michael Bloomberg, are pooling $375 million to fight:
c) Driving while talking on cell phones.
19. Frontier City has a new roller-coaster that allows passenger to dangle their feet high over the park. It’s called the:
a) Steel Lasso.
b) Roller Rip.
c) Scary Scream Maker.
20. A new study shows girls do as well as boys in what subject?
How did you do on the quiz? Here are the correct answers:
1-C; 2-B; 3-B; 4-A; 5-C; 6-B; 7-B; 8-A; 9-C; 10-A; 11-C; 12-B; 13-C; 14-A; 15-B; 16-B; 17-A; 18-A; 19-A; 20-A.