It’s time to see how much attention you’ve been paying to the news in the past week or so. From The Oklahoman’s news copy editors and designers, here’s a quiz:
1. Americans fear foreign terrorists, but researchers say what accounts for seven times as much damage in the U.S.?
a) Children playing with matches.
b) Home-grown terrorists.
c) NASCAR crashes.
2. A fire stopped production of Feb. 17 editions of which newspaper?
a) Tulsa World.
b) Norman Transcript.
c) Daily Planet.
3. The Oklahoma Sooners defeated Oklahoma State in wrestling last week for the first time in how many matches?
4. The chairman of the House higher education subcommittee does not expect bills that would create tuition waivers to pass the House because:
a) Students should build character by paying themselves.
b) Tuition rates are dropping, making the waivers unnecessary.
c) A revenue downturn will give lawmakers less money to spend this year.
5. Which former first lady was hospitalized recently after falling in her home?
a) Hillary Rodham Clinton.
b) Barbara Bush.
c) Nancy Reagan.
6. The United States has extended formal recognition to what country?
7. What has the federal government designated will happen Feb. 17, 2009?
a) It is the day for analog TV signals to end, replaced by digital signals.
b) That is the day the national ID card is to be implemented.
c) It is the date the next president will take office.
8. How many teams were penalized by NASCAR for violations following the opening week of the 2008 season?
9. What two large airlines are discussing a merger?
a) United and Southwest.
b) Northwest and Delta.
c) Braniff and JetBlue.
10. Workers at McAlester’s Southeast Expo Center were surprised when they arrived at the center Tuesday morning and found:
a) An escaped buffalo.
b) Brad Pitt running laps around the grounds.
c) An extremely large sinkhole full of water.
11. A Tulsa woman is the only known person to be hit by falling space debris. What hit her?
a) Remnants of a satellite.
b) Remnants Delta II rocket.
c) Golf clubs that were lost during the moon landing.
12. A study by the U.S. Geological Survey says what animal might find Oklahoma’s climate to its liking?
a) The Monty Python.
b) The ball python.
c) The Burmese python.
13. A state House committee on Thursday called for what regarding the state Department of Human Services?
a) A reduction in force.
b) A performance audit.
c) Tarring and feathering of officials.
14. Economic problems are leading to a new phenomenon in China. What is it?
a) Pawn shops.
b) Food stamps.
15. What did Indiana University give basketball coach Kelvin Sampson to get him to resign?
b) Cell phones and unlimited minutes for his entire family.
c) An lifetime supply of denim shirts.
How did you do on the quiz? Here are the correct answers:
1-B; 2-A; 3-C; 4-C; 5-C; 6-B; 7-A; 8-B; 9-B; 10-C; 11-B; 12-C; 13-B; 14-C; 15-A.