Our family hosts a Super Bowl watch party each year that is designed to appeal both to football fans and to those who are not as enamored by the game, but who enjoy getting together to eat, talk and watch the commercials. Last year, we started a new tradition. A trivia contest that was constructed to give a chance at victory all of our participants; not just the football fans.
I have created another trivia contest for the upcoming Super Bowl, but I don’t want to release the answers ahead of the game. So I am publishing last year’s trivia contest. Last year’s winner took home a Chris Paul bobblehead doll.
To see the answers, scroll down to the post below the questions.
1. Which of these performers has never performed the National Anthem at a Super Bowl?
A. Billy Joel
B. Neil Diamond
C. Wayne Newton
D. Dixie Chicks
E. Backsteet Boys
2. Who was the first celebrity to perform the National Anthem at a Super Bowl
A. Al Hirt
B. Andy Williams
C. Perry Como
D. Englebert Humperdink
E. Anita Bryant
3. What percentage of all Super Bowl tickets are set aside for the general public?
B. 1 percent
C. 10 percent
D. 20 percent
E. 50 percent
4. The cheapest ticket to Super Bowl I cost how much?
5. Which of these has NOT been a theme for the Super Bowl halftime show?
A. Happiness Is…
B. Founding Fathers of Rock ‘n Roll
D. Indiana Jones & Temple of Forbidden Eye
E. Be Bop Bamboozled
6. Who was the first non-official to toss the coin?
A. Ronald Reagan
B. George Halas
C. Bronko Nagurski
D. Red Grange
E. OJ Simpson
7. Sales of this item increase 20 percent on the day after a Super Bowl
D. Toilet paper
8. What was the Super Bowl named after?
A. Super Ball
C. Super Duper
D. Soup or nuts
E. Super glue
9. Heading into this year’s playoffs, the New England Patriots and the Dallas Cowboys were the top-seeded teams. When was the last time the two top-seeded teams met in the Super Bowl?
A. 2006: Indianapolis Colts vs. Chicago Bears
B. 2002: New England Patriots vs. St. Louis Rams
C. 1998: Denver Broncos vs. Green Bay Packers
D. 1993: Dallas Cowboys vs. Buffalo Bills
E. 1979: Pittsburgh Steelers vs. Dallas Cowboys
10. This player played in more Super Bowls than anyone else.
A. John Elway
B. Preston Pearson
C. Charles Haley
D. Cornelius Bennett
E. Mike Lodish
11. This player holds the record for most career fumbles in Super Bowl play.
A. Roger Staubach
B. Terry Bradshaw
C. Joe Montana
D. Thurman Thomas
E. Jim Kelly
12. What has occurred more often in Super Bowls, missed extra points or safeties?
A. Missed extra points.
13. True or false: All nine interception returns for touchdowns in Super Bowl play have been by a member of the winning team.
14. Quarterbacks wearing this uniform number won nine consecutive Super Bowls. What number is it?
15. What Dallas Cowboy had has helmet stolen at the Super Bowl in 1994?
A. Troy Aikman
B. Michael Irvin
C. Daryl Johnson
D. Jay Novacek
E. Emmitt Smith
16. Ten of the top 20 most-watched television events are Super Bowls. But the last episode of what program is the single most watched show in history?
A. “The Fugitive”
B. “The Tonight Show”
17. ABC rejected 13 commercials from this company for the 2006 Super Bowl before signing off on the commercial depicting a girl and her highly-stressed, about-to-snap bra strap?
B. Meineke Auto Parts
D. Keystone Beer
E. Paul Meade Insurance
18. Which of the following shows did NOT premeire immediately following the Super Bowl
A. “The Wonder Years”
C. “Family Guy”
E. “Grey’s Anatomy”
19. A 1996 extended episode of “Friends” is still the biggest post-Super Bowl draw ever, with 52.9 million viewers. Who were the two big guest stars?
A. Cher and Sean Connery
B. Julia Roberts and Jean-Claude Van Damme
C. Bob Berry and Linda Cavanaugh
D. Jodie Foster and Brad Pitt
E. Roy Rogers and Dale Evans
20. Who makes the Lombardi Trophy?
C. Midwest Trophy
D. Tiffany & Co.