It’s time to see how much attention you’ve been paying to the news in the past week or so. From The Oklahoman’s news copy editors and designers, here’s a quiz.
1. After a previous battle over same-sex civil unions, lawmakers in which state are debating whether to legalize gay marriage?
a) New York.
2. State Rep. Joe Dorman is pushing a bill to make Oklahoma the 23rd state to require:
a) Smoke-free college campuses.
b) Fire-safe cigarettes.
c) Fire-safe mattresses.
3. A 12-panel display that traveled the state during 2007 is now available for loan from OU. What is the subject of the display?
a) Oklahoma’s first 100 years in Congress.
b) Oklahoma’s centenarians.
c) Oklahoma’s colleges and universities.
4. Which former Oklahoma State player made an interception to seal a win against the Dallas Cowboys in the NFL playoffs?
a) Kevin Williams.
b) Tatum Bell.
c) R.W. McQuarters.
5. What is Mayor Mick Cornett doing after urging the city to go on a diet?
a) He is fielding inquiries from national and international media including an appearance on “Ellen.”
b) He is giving up on the idea because people should be happy with their weight.
c) He is offering a $5,000 reward for the biggest loser.
6. In a trade dedicated to maintaining comfort in motion, business has grown lately for those who offer it because the number of competing craftsmen is shrinking. What is it?
a) Shoe repair.
b) Auto re-upholstery.
c) Tire manufacturing.
7. After losing to this team, OU basketball coach Jeff Capel said, “This is the best team we’ve played, and we’ve played some really good teams.” What team was he talking about?
a) The University of Missouri Tigers.
b) The University of Kansas Jayhawks.
c) The University of Texas Longhorns.
8. How did Saudi Arabia’s foreign minister react to President Bush’s plea for more oil output?
a) He immediately agreed and boosted output 15 percent.
b) He suggested Bush go back to Texas and drill it himself.
c) He said Saudi Arabia is doing all it can.
9. The super-slim new MacBook Air laptop that Apple Inc. Chief Executive Steve Jobs unveiled at the Macworld trade show has no built-in drive for reading CDs or DVDs. Why?
a) New technology allows the discs to be scanned by placing them on the laptop’s screen for five minutes.
b) Customers are expected to download music and movies, and use other computers to install new software.
c) Thanks to the laptop’s fusion-powered flux capacitor, CDs and DVDs are a thing of the past.
10. Muskogee wide receiver Jameel Owens and defensive lineman Stacy McGee have decided to play for what team?
a) The OSU Cowboys.
b) The OU Sooners.
c) The Missouri Tigers.
11. At the conclusion of the ceremony dedicating the Centennial Waterfall at State Fair Park, participants threw what into the waterfall’s pond?
a) Little goldfish.
b) Small rocks as part of a rock-skipping contest.
c) Silver dollars and $100 in quarters.
12. In December, state revenues were up markedly from December 2006 because …
a) The ice and cold increased production tax from oil and gas.
b) The ice and cold increased sales tax income.
c) Income tax receipts took a sharp increase.
13. Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Muskogee, endorsed which presidential candidate?
a) John McCain.
b) Mike Huckabee.
c) Mitt Romney.
14. An Army unit at Fort Sill and an Air Force unit at Tinker Air Force Base began training together this month for what reason?
a) So the service people can get acquainted with one another before being deployed.
b) Because no other military groups wanted to work with either unit.
c) To work out any problems that normally wouldn’t be found until they were in hostile territory.
15. According to a long-term Air Force plan, Tinker Air Force Base and Altus Air Force Base are candidates as possible homes for what type of future Air Force plane?
16. Why is the Oklahoma State University Cowboys football team thinking about moving its Oct. 4 home game with Texas A&M to Oct. 2, a weekday?
a) ESPN has asked OSU to move the game up for a national broadcast.
b) The arena will be under construction on Oct. 4.
c) The team wants to see whether a weeknight game will get more fans to attend.
17. Harold Smith, a businessman at Will Rogers World Airport, supplies something important to many air travelers. What is it?
b) Magazines and newspapers.
c) Shiny footwear.
18. A well-known politician will campaign in Oklahoma on Jan. 30 for a Democratic presidential candidate. Who is he?
a) Al Gore.
b) Jimmy Carter.
c) Bill Clinton.
19. Oklahoma’s Department of Commerce said it is working with which company to bring in 611 new jobs between now and 2018?
a) Devon Energy Corp.
b) Chesapeake Energy.
c) Garver Engineers.
20. State schools Superintendent Sandy Garrett announced that teachers in 63 schools across the state will receive bonuses between $500 and $3,000 for what achievement?
a) On-time completion of training.
b) Zero absences by students.
c) High or improved student scores.
How did you do on the quiz? Here are the correct answers:
1-B; 2-B; 3-A; 4-C; 5-A; 6-A; 7-B; 8-C; 9-B; 10-B; 11-C; 12-B; 13-A; 14-C; 15-A; 16-A; 17-C; 18-C; 19-A; 20-C.