It’s time to see how much attention you’ve been paying to the news in the past week or so. From The Oklahoman’s news copy editors and designers, here’s a quiz:
1. Former Oklahoma City Council member Willa Johnson had what piece of advice for candidates running to succeed her?
a) Don’t read the newspaper.
b) Attend neighborhood meetings.
c) The job isn’t worth it.
2. A University of Minnesota study found what about children and school lunches?
a) Kids are eating less because the food doesn’t taste like their moms’ home cooking.
b) Kids are involved in twice as many food fights than they were two decades ago.
c) School lunch sales didn’t decrease when officials added healthier options to the menu.
3. What downtown Oklahoma City attraction has free admission from 6 to 9 p.m. on Sundays through Dec. 30?
a) Chesapeake Snow Tubing at the Brick.
b) Myriad Botanical Gardens.
c) Braum’s Ice Skating Rink.
4. The annual PNC Christmas Price Index found it would cost how much to buy all the items mentioned in “The Twelve Days of Christmas” song?
c) It is impossible to calculate because no one sells maids a-milking.
5. Which former football star from Oklahoma has applied for the head coach opening at the University of Central Oklahoma?
a) Lee Roy Selmon.
b) Lucious Selmon.
c) Steve Largent.
6. The new leader of the Episcopal Diocese of Oklahoma became a priest after an 18-year career in what?
b) Law enforcement.
7. The ailment called rickets is making a comeback in children. What’s causing the problem?
a) Children are not getting enough sunshine, exercise and milk.
b) Children aren’t getting enough homework.
c) Children aren’t learning to walk early enough.
8. Engineers are testing a new firefighting tool. What is it?
a) A new flame-suffocating chemical.
b) Water balloons.
c) Heavy water.
9. Google Inc. announced Tuesday it is expanding into this major industry:
a) Cell phones.
b) Real estate.
c) Alternative energy.
10. After weeks of bad news, what was the good news for Oral Roberts University?
a) Sonic will offer free hamburgers to the school’s students.
b) The family that founded Hobby Lobby has pledged $70 million to the school.
c) The Tulsa Drillers will offer free admission to faculty and staff next season.
11. Ford Center officials announced last week that additional tickets would be available for which concert?
a) Hannah Montana.
b) Matchbox Twenty.
c) New Kids on the Block.
12. What did a mental health report last week say about Oklahoma?
a) The state is ranked No. 46, one of the saddest.
b) The state is No. 10 in happy lives.
c) Sunshine keeps Oklahoma happy.
13. Who has amassed 2 million acres over the past two decades to become the nation’s largest private landowner?
a) Ted Turner.
b) Tina Turner.
c) J.M.W. Turner.
14. In Bob Stoops’ nine years at OU, the Sooners have won the Big 12 title several times. Who is next best?
a) Texas, with three.
b) Nebraska, with two.
c) Nebraska, Colorado, Kansas State and Texas, tied with one title each.
15. State schools Superintendent Sandy Garrett has recommended what for all public schools by fall 2010?
a) Free school lunches.
b) Mandatory Chinese language classes.
c) 17 additional school days.
16. Profits for Sears tumbled, according to a new financial report. How big was the decline?
a) 25 percent.
b) 75 percent.
c) 99 percent.
17. Officials at Will Rogers World Airport have put an end to what courtesy service?
a) Picking up passengers at their cars.
b) Picking up passengers at a designated area.
c) Picking up passengers at all.
18. Oklahoma City officials are determining the rules about the animated billboards that contain LEDs. What does “LED” stand for?
a) Light emitting display.
b) Laser energy download.
c) Light emitting diodes.
19. Two Oklahoma nursing homes have been singled out by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. Why?
a) They were rated among the nation’s 54 best.
b) They were rated among the nation’s 54 worst.
c) They were noted for being the state’s most fully staffed.
20. Former Oklahoma football star Buddy Burris died last week. What position(s) did he play?
a) Guard and tackle.
b) Running back.
c) Tight end.
How did you do on the quiz? Here are the correct answers:
1-B; 2-C; 3-B; 4-B; 5-B; 6-B; 7-A; 8-B; 9-C; 10-B; 11-A; 12-A; 13-A; 14-C; 15-C; 16-C; 17-A; 18-C; 19-B; 20-A.
Another week has passed, and here is your chance to catch up on what you might have missed.