It’s time to see how much attention you’ve been paying to the news in the past week or so. From The Oklahoman’s news copy editors and designers, here’s a quiz:
1. Queen Elizabeth II took a leap into the 21st century by doing what?
a) Announcing her intention to be launched into space.
b) Establishing her own Royal Channel on YouTube.
c) Releasing a hip-hop album.
2. Which Major League Baseball player planned, in an interview on “60 Minutes,” to refute allegations he used steroids?
a) Barry Bonds.
b) Jose Canseco.
c) Roger Clemens.
3. Who scored for the Pittsburgh Steelers 35 years ago on a play that became known as the “Immaculate Reception”?
a) Frenchy Fuqua.
b) Lynn Swann.
c) Franco Harris.
4. At least 15 people were killed and more than 100 were missing after a steel footbridge collapsed in what country?
5. Under federal law, any child without a fixed, regular and adequate place to stay is considered:
a) An orphan.
c) A juvenile delinquent.
6. Investigators recovered nearly $5 million worth of stolen cattle, horses and equipment last year in Texas and Oklahoma. What main factor drives cattle rustling?
a) Increasing beef prices spur demand.
b) Strict breeding laws limit cattle ownership.
c) Rivalries result in ranch-hand high jinks.
7. Greenburg, N.Y., is offering its seniors a way to pay off their property taxes. What is it?
a) Let seniors work part-time for $7 an hour.
b) Give seniors a 7 percent discount on their taxes.
c) Have seniors participate in a tax-waiver lottery.
8. Retailers were counting on what to boost their revenues during after-Christmas sales?
a) Gift cards.
b) Earlier shopping hours.
c) Three days of extra shopping.
9. The Sooner football team’s defense took another hit when which player was ruled ineligible for the Fiesta Bowl?
a) Reggie Smith.
b) Brian Jackson.
c) Lendy Holmes.
10. Chicago will impose a 5-cent tax on what grocery item in response to environmental concerns?
b) Bottled water.
c) Trash bags.
11. Former Oklahoma State University basketball coach Eddie Sutton accepted the head coaching position at the University of San Francisco. Which of the following was not a reason Sutton, who resigned from OSU in 2006, said he took the opportunity to coach the Dons?
a) A chance to reach 800 wins.
b) A chance to join the “green” movement in San Francisco.
c) A chance to make up for how he ended his career at OSU.
12. How many cases of influenza have been confirmed in Oklahoma since Dec. 19?
13. Oklahomans found out during the week they won’t be receiving what in 2009?
a) Income tax cuts.
b) More cable channels.
c) Lower milk prices.
14. Well-known attorney Mike Gassaway is facing a decision by a state court that will determine whether he is allowed to continue practicing law in Oklahoma. What court will decide?
a) High Court.
b) Supreme Court.
c) Royal Court.
15. Boeing Co. finalized a deal with what major airline for 790 orders of its long-awaited 787 Dreamliner plane?
b) American Airlines.
c) British Airways.
16. Jennifer Gooch’s Web site to help people find lost gloves — www.onecoldhand.com — got how many hits in 10 days after stories about her project ran?
c) 1.6 million.
17. Researchers in Egypt hope DNA tests on a mummy can confirm that it is the last remains of:
a) Alexander the Great.
b) Queen Hatshepsut.
c) Billy the Kid.
18. Biodegradable coffins are a part of a larger trend toward “natural” burials, which require no formaldehyde embalming, cement vaults, chemical lawn treatments or laminated caskets. Which is not an example of eco-friendly burial products?
a) The Ecopod, a kayak-shaped coffin made of recycled newspapers.
b) Fair-trade bamboo caskets lined with unbleached cotton.
c) A 1954 Studebaker with mink trim and a full tank of premium gasoline.
19. Beverly’s Pancake Corner, after 50-plus years at Pennsylvania Avenue and Northwest Expressway, is moving. Where will you be able to get the Big Bevburger and Chicken in the Rough in the near future?
a) Across the street and indoors at Penn Square Mall.
b) Up the road to Midland Center at 3315 Northwest Expressway.
c) Trick question; they aren’t moving at all.
20. The IRS says more than 3 million people will have to wait until February to get their tax refunds. Why?
a) It will take that long for the treasury secretary to win the money back in Las Vegas.
b) Congress didn’t fix the alternative minimum tax until mid-December.
c) The IRS is switching from PCs to Macs and has to learn a new operating system.
How did you do on the quiz? Here are the correct answers:
1-B; 2-C; 3-C; 4-C; 5-B; 6-A; 7-A; 8-A; 9-C; 10-B; 11-B; 12-B; 13-A; 14-B; 15-C; 16-A; 17-B; 18-C; 19-B; 20-B.