It’s time to see how much attention you’ve been paying to the news in the past week or so. From The Oklahoman’s news copy editors and designers, here’s a quiz:
1. What reason did NASA give for delaying the launch of space shuttle Atlantis?
a) Fuel-gauge problems.
b) Computer concerns.
c) Tang shortage.
2. Logan County planned to have an open house this week to show off which of the following:
a) $10.2 million county courthouse.
b $7.1 million county jail.
c) $8.9 million hospital.
3. Dr. Charlie Pasque, a team doctor for University of Oklahoma athletic teams, returned in November from 13 months doing what?
a) Treating rivals in Austin, Texas.
b) Backpacking across Europe.
c) Treating war wounded in Germany.
4. State Finance Director Tony Hutchison made what prediction for the state’s fiscal year 2009?
a) Oklahoma will see only modest growth.
b) It will be a record-breaking year for growth.
c) Oklahoma will be forced to borrow money from Texas.
5. Store owners in what Oklahoma City area have said they are concerned about how House Bill 1804 is affecting their businesses?
c) Capitol Hill.
6. Because of the ice storm, Gov. Brad Henry cut short his vacation in what state?
7. New Jersey is taking steps to ban:
b) The death penalty.
8. What organization has requested permission to file a legal brief opposing the state’s pollution lawsuit against the poultry industry?
a) Oklahoma Farm Bureau.
b) State Farm Insurance.
c) National Farmers Organization.
9. Oklahoma State offensive coordinator Larry Fedora has been named head coach for what team?
a) Arkansas Razorbacks.
b) Southern Mississippi Golden Eagles.
c) West Virginia Mountaineers.
10. Oklahoma City officials hired The Benham Cos. on Tuesday to study improvements to the Ford Center. Why?
a) The ice storm caused roof damage.
b) A full-time NBA team would require certain amenities.
c) Fans complained about obstructed views at the centennial concert.
11. What happened to the four lion cubs born at the Oklahoma City Zoo in early November?
a) They were moved from their Lion Overlook pen to the zoo hospital.
b) They were transferred to a warmer zoo in Arizona.
c) They were left alone because they are old enough to face the icy weather.
12. The Senate rejected a proposal Tuesday to replace a farm subsidies system with an expanded crop insurance program. Who proposed the failed amendment to the $286 billion farm bill?
a) Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Muskogee.
b) Sen. Jim Inhofe, R-Tulsa.
c) Sen. Richard Lugar, R-Ind.
13. Nissan North America Inc. is planning a new pickup at its Smyrna, Tenn., plant beginning in 2008. What is unusual about this pickup?
a) It will be the largest pickup built by a Japanese manufacturer.
b) It will be sold by Suzuki, a company unrelated by ownership to Nissan.
c) It will be specifically designed to run on ethanol.
14. What is the Ardmore School District offering the Jones district after fire destroyed Jones High School?
a) More than 500 textbooks.
b) Surplus buses and portable classrooms.
c) Band instruments and kitchen sinks.
15. Only two teams in NFL history have finished the season without winning a game, a feat this season’s Miami Dolphins avoided Sunday. One of the two teams, the 1960 Dallas Cowboys, did tie one of its games. What team lost all 14 games in 1976?
a) Seattle Seahawks.
b) Buffalo Bills.
c) Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
16. Employees hired by the University of Oklahoma after Jan. 1 will see what changes in OU’s benefits package:
a) They will no longer receive free tickets to Sooner sporting events.
b) They must park at Lloyd Noble Center and walk to campus.
c) They will be required to pay for their own insurance after retirement.
17. The federal budget deficit for November was sharply higher this year compared to 2006. Why?
a) There were only 30 days in November.
b) Dec. 1 fell on a Saturday.
c) Thanksgiving was a week earlier than usual.
18. Which country battled a large oil spill off its coast?
b) South Korea.
c) United States.
19. British Prime Minister Gordon Brown pledged a long-term troop presence and aid commitments to Afghanistan and told the Taliban that:
a) They should move to Kazakhstan.
b) They should surrender or be killed.
c) They should renounce violence.
20. After years of talk about a possible MAPS 3 in Oklahoma City, officials are preparing to submit a proposal to voters next year. Do you remember what MAPS stands for?
a) Metropolitan Area Projects
b) Metropolitan Arena Project
c) Metropolitan Area Progress
How did you do on the quiz? Here are the correct answers:
1-A; 2-B; 3-C; 4-A; 5-C; 6-A; 7-B; 8-A; 9-B; 10-B; 11-A; 12-C; 13-B; 14-A; 15-C; 16-C; 17-B; 18-B; 19-C; 20-A.