It’s time to see how much attention you’ve been paying to the news in the past week or so. From The Oklahoman’s news copy editors and designers, here’s a quiz:
1. Re-creation of World War II battles in Pauls Valley will take place:
a) In a field outside town with re-enactors.
b) At a main intersection with re-enactors in buildings, as well.
c) In a toy museum.
2. An inmate in Indiana escaped from a work-release crew after he created a distraction for guards with:
a) A trash fire.
b) An overflowing toilet.
c) A fight.
3. Oklahoma cornerback Reggie Smith won’t play in the Fiesta Bowl against West Virginia because:
a) He broke a big toe.
b) He suffered a knee over-extension.
c) He suffered a concussion.
4. The biggest-ever conference on climate change opened last week with about 10,000 conferees, activists and journalists from nearly 190 countries. Where did they meet?
a) Bali, Indonesia.
b) New York City.
5. Which singer, who plays the title character in the “Hannah Montana” show on the Disney Channel, performed a concert last week in Oklahoma City?
a) Britney Spears.
b) Miley Cyrus.
c) Carrie Underwood.
6. A state law that took effect Nov. 1 requires what before a speed-trap designation can be placed on small communities?
a) That public complaints go through elected officials before investigation.
b) Proof that a rival town did not turn the targeted town in for investigation.
c) That online voters select which towns are speed traps on the Department of Public Safety’s Web site.
7. Unless the Legislature changes state statutes, V. Burns Hargis can’t start his new job as Oklahoma State University president until when?
8. Why are some charities refusing toy donations this holiday season?
a) They have plenty left over from last year.
b) A new law prohibits them from accepting foreign-made toys.
c) They are concerned about toys that have been recalled.
9. Merchants have identified the Teaposy as a unique gift this holiday season. What is a Teaposy?
a) A dozen tea roses.
b) A personalized love poem included with a box of tea.
c) A tea-infused flower that appears to bloom while brewing in a glass pot.
10. Who won college football’s 2007 Heisman Trophy?
a) Darren McFadden of Arkansas.
b) Tim Tebow of Florida.
c) Chase Daniel of Missouri.
11. Beginning next year, travelers will need something they don’t need now when re-entering the United States by sea. What is it?
a) Letter of reference from employer, family member or banker.
b) Proof from the IRS that they paid their taxes while away.
c) A passport, which has already been required from air travelers.
12. Before OSU’s bowl game in 2004, Les Miles said he was staying at Oklahoma State, only to later leave for LSU. What bowl was it?
a) Texas Bowl.
b) Alamo Bowl.
c) Cotton Bowl.
13. U.S. military commanders in which part of Iraq asked Defense Secretary Robert Gates last week for more troops to battle increased attacks by al-Qaida terrorists?
14. What device soon could be used to pay for parking at the Tulsa’s airport?
b) Cell phone.
c) Keyless vehicle entry remotes.
15. As the Senate’s session ends, Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Muskogee, has warned he will block bills that expand the size or cost of government. How many bills is he already stalling?
a) More than 150.
c) Not quite 10.
16. Wheels Up!, a business run by Oklahoma City nurse and entrepreneur Beverly Smith, sells:
a) A snack mix of pecans, pretzels and cereal drizzled in chocolate.
b) Customized wheels to make walkers move more smoothly.
c) Trick exercise bicycles.
17. How many USS Oklahoma crew members died in the Dec. 7, 1941, Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor?
18. When Kitty Ernst portrayed Mary, mother of Jesus, in a 1964 nativity pageant, something unusual happened. What was it?
a) One of the heifers calved.
b) A donkey bit her.
c) A camel tore down the set.
19. Atlantis’ launch was postponed after a pair of fuel gauges in its external tank failed to work properly. If the shuttle doesn’t lift off soon, it won’t have another opportunity until:
a) Christmas Day.
b) Early January.
c) Next summer.
20. A court order has forbidden Moffet police from doing what?
a) Patrolling highways that stretch from the town to the Arkansas state line.
b) Attending holiday parties because more officers are needed during this time of year.
c) Shopping at local stores in uniform.
How did you do on the quiz? Here are the correct answers:
1-C; 2-B; 3-A; 4-A; 5-B; 6-A; 7-B; 8-C; 9-C; 10-B; 11-C; 12-B; 13-A; 14-A; 15-B; 16-A; 17-A; 18-B; 19-B; 20-A.