It’s time to see how much attention you’ve been paying to the news in the past week or so. From The Oklahoman’s news copy editors and designers, here’s a quiz:
1. Which world leader recently made a surprise call to Venezuela’s president during a broadcast?
a) Vladimir Putin
b) Fidel Castro
c) Nicolas Sarkozy
2. Who did the University of Nebraska turn to after firing their athletic director in the wake of a 45-14 drubbing by the Oklahoma State?
a) Former Cornhusker coach Tom Osborne
b) Former Sooner coach Barry Switzer
c) Former Dallas Cowboy Troy Aikman
3. A city in Oklahoma set a record for rainfall in a calendar year. Which city?
c) Oklahoma City
4. Which pizza maker plans to open 26 stores in the metro area in the next three years?
a) Papa Murphy’s
b) Papa Smurf’s
c) Papa Roni’s
5. What did U.S. District Judge Ronald White say a psychologist reported about former state Sen. Gene Stipe?
a) The doctor said Stipe was competent
b) The doctor said Stipe was incompetent
c) Stipe’s mental state couldn’t be determined
6. According to a national study, how many slot machines does Oklahoma have?
a) 1 for every other resident
b) 1 for every 48 residents
c) 1 for every 79 residents
7. Which sandwich chain announced plans to open nine more state locations?
b) Jersey Mike’s
8. Which country music star from Oklahoma is releasing a new album?
a) Toby Keith
b) Carrie Underwood
c) Reba McEntire
9. A hearing was set in the court case between this NBA team and its current city, which will provide some insight whether the team will call Oklahoma City its home next year.
a) Seattle Sonics
b) LA Lakers
c) Chicago Bulls
10. Scientists in Argentina have discovered the skeleton they believe to be a previously unknown dinosaur, a giant plant-eater 105 feet long. They named the dinosaur:
11. An Oklahoma City company recently won a contract from NASA to provide testing that could help astronauts go where?
b) The moon
12. Because of some exceptional circumstances, Atlanta is short on:
13. A growing number of parents are claiming what exemptions to prevent their children from getting shots?
14. Because of warnings about a possible assassination plot, Russian President Vladimir Putin delayed his trip to what city?
a) Tehran, Iran
b) Xiamen, China
c) Hyderabad, India
15. Crossroads Mall will implement a new policy Oct. 26 as a way to create a more family-friendly environment. What’s the policy?
a) Earlier store closings on weeknights
b) “Family shop” Tuesdays
c) Weekend curfew for those younger than 18
16. What is the second-biggest decorating holiday in the United States?
17. Record swimmer Samantha Woodward of Edmond Memorial High School has committed to what NCAA school?
a) Stanford University
b) The University of Oklahoma
c) The University of California
18. All except which one of these reasons are driving up orange juice prices in the U.S.?
a) Rising land prices in Florida
b) Citrus canker
c) Shortage of water
19. A farewell ceremony was held Thursday for 2,600 Oklahoma National Guard members leaving for training before going to Iraq. Where was the ceremony held?
a) Cox Convention Center in Oklahoma City
b) Lloyd Noble Center in Norman
c) Coca-Cola Bricktown Event Center in Oklahoma City
20. Oklahoma hospices must return millions in Medicare funds because:
a) They collected funds for nonexistent patients
b) Terminally ill patients lived longer than expected
c) They charged Medicare multiple times for the same patients
How did you do on the quiz? Here are the correct answers:
1-B; 2-A; 3-C; 4-A; 5-B; 6-C; 7-C; 8-B; 9-A; 10-C; 11-B; 12-A; 13-B; 14-A; 15-C; 16-A; 17-A; 18-C; 19-B; 20-B