It’s time to see how much attention you’ve been paying to the news in the past week or so. From The Oklahoman’s news copy editors and designers, here’s a quiz:
1. A Marine investigator recommended dismissal of murder and assault charges against Edmond native Lance Cpl. Stephen B. Tatum, who was involved in a controversial incident where?
a) Baghdad, Iraq
b) Haditha, Iraq
c) Guantanamo Bay, Cuba
d) Kirkuk, Iraq
2. Oklahoma’s state treasurer will make $100 million more available in certificates of deposit to state banks to ease liquidity concerns following recent floods. Who is Oklahoma’s state treasurer?
a) Brenda Reneau
b) Hamp Baker
c) Scott Meacham
d) Gene Stipe
3. What South American country was hit by an earthquake?
4. Security and trade were the main issues when President Bush met with what other two leaders at the North American summit in Quebec?
a) Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper and Mexican President Felipe Calderon
b) Canadian Prime Minister Paul Martin and Mexican President Vincente Fox
c) Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton and Karl Rove
d) Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki
5. Who does Sen. Jim Inhofe, R-Tulsa, think should be the GOP presidential candidate?
a) Former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani
b) Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney
c) Sen. Sam Brownback of Kansas
d) Former Tennessee Sen. Fred Thompson
6. What was one thing the NCAA found that prompted the University of Central Oklahoma to suspend its football coach?
a) Some players’ classes at Rose State College were paid for by UCO.
b) Some players were told to walk on at Oklahoma State.
c) Some players had already graduated from college.
d) Some players had not yet graduated from high school.
7. In 2009 and 2010, Oklahoma State University will play a series with what Pac-10 team?
a) University of Washington
b) Washington State
c) University of Oregon
d) Oregon State
8. Where was a Burns Flat city councilman standing in Elk City when he was struck by a stray 9 mm bullet?
a) At an Interstate 40 exit
b) At city hall
c) At a car dealership
d) At the police shooting range
9. What Major League Baseball team defeated the Baltimore Orioles 30-3?
a) Texas Rangers
b) Houston Astros
c) Kansas City Royals
d) St. Louis Cardinals
10. What was breached, exposing Oklahomans to identity theft?
a) The Oklahoma Law Enforcement Telecommunications System.
b) A levy around Lake Hefner.
c) The Oklahoma Employment Security System.
d) The Metropolitan Library System.
11. State Auditor and Inspector Jeff McMahan received a visit last Thursday from what federal agency?
12. Which Oklahoma town recorded the most rainfall Aug. 19 with more than 9 inches?
13. What was the name of the tropical storm whose remnants socked Oklahoma with high winds and massive flooding?
14. A typhoon forced the evacuation of more than 900,000 people in what Asian country?
15. A high school cross-country runner drowned last week in the North Canadian River. Where did he go to school?
a) Norman North
b) Edmond Santa Fe
d) Putnam City West
16. A study shows that kids’ food fussiness comes from what?
a) Watching too much TV.
b) Being spoiled rotten and obese.
c) Playing too many video games.
17. A mine in China was flooded, resulting in how many deaths?
18. A 17-year-old New York resident successfully unlocked what, allowing it to be used on networks other than AT&T?
How did you do on the quiz? Here are the correct answers:
1-B; 2-C; 3-C; 4-A; 5-D; 6-A; 7-B; 8-C; 9-A; 10-A; 11-D; 12-B; 13-C; 14-A; 15-D; 16-D; 17-B; 18-C