It’s time to see how much attention you’ve been paying to the news in the past week or so. From The Oklahoman’s news copy editors and designers, here’s a quiz.
1. Who helped negotiate the freeing of six medical people from a prison in Libya?
a) Jesse Jackson
b) British Prime Minister Gordon Brown
c) French first lady Cecilia Sarkozy
d) Fidel Castro
2. On Sept. 30, Continental Airlines will offer nonstop flights from Oklahoma City to what city?
a) St. Louis
c) New York
3. What state was struck by a series of devastating mudslides?
4. Assistant Secretary of State Maura Harty took responsibility for a backlog in what?
a) Aid to hurricane victims
b) Candidates for the presidency in 2008
c) Getting citizens needed passports
d) Tax refunds
5. A four-hole sudden death playoff in the British Open ended with a victory for whom?
a) Bob Barker
b) Sergio Garcia
c) Happy Gilmore
d) Padraig Harrington
6. In a two-year series beginning in 2012, the University of Oklahoma will meet Notre Dame on the football field. The teams have battled nine times in the past with the Irish winning how many of the games?
7. What Oklahoma university is building a $70 million science research building?
a) University of Oklahoma
b) Oklahoma State University
c) Oklahoma Panhandle State University
d) Southeastern Oklahoma State University
8. About how much did the state generate in investment earnings last year after shifting money from its checking account to investments that earn more?
a) 50 cents
b) $100 million
c) $150 million
d) $175 million
9. What Oklahoma City-based band took the Oklahoma Centennial spirit to Japan and Thailand and returned with a high-definition documentary about the three-week trip?
a) Horseshoe Road
b) Dirt Road Band
c) Pinkie & the SnakeShakers
10. What was blamed for causing an outbreak of mold that closed dorm rooms for law enforcement cadets at the Council on Law Enforcement Training center in Ada?
a) Faulty humidity sensors
b) Months of rainfall
c) Unqualified housekeepers
d) Piles of sweaty clothing
11. What class did Miss America Lauren Nelson tell a Senate committee to establish?
a) Beauty pageantry
b) Tap dancing
c) Internet safety
d) Oklahoma history
12. Oklahoma parents will get a break from Aug. 3-5. What will be happening?
a) Local and state sales tax will be eliminated for back-to-school shopping.
b) The price of popcorn at theaters will be reduced by $3.
c) Children will agree to do everything they are told to do, immediately.
d) School will open early.
13. An Oklahoma school teacher is among the finalists for ABC’s “American Inventor” with his HC Custom Build Racer set. Where does Rick DeRemmaux teach?
a) Oklahoma City
b) Putnam City
14. Manuel Noriega, once president of Panama, has completed 10 years of a 30-year sentence (20 years off for good behavior), and was back in federal court. Why?
a) He wants to be sent back to Panama and not be sent to France.
b) He wants to stay in the U.S. and not be sent back to Panama.
c) He wants to be sent to France and not sent back to Panama.
d) He wants to be sent back to prison.
15. A teenager in Seattle was charged in the murder of a cab driver and was arrested in Chicago because:
a) His picture was taken by a concealed camera in the cab.
b) A trail of pennies led from the burning taxi to his house.
c) He was seen by a passer-by.
d) He dropped his billfold in the taxi.
16. Oklahoma Supreme Court Justice Robert Lavender retired last week after becoming the longest-serving member of the court. How many years was he on the court?
17. What’s approaching a 20-year low in Oklahoma County?
a) Number of people who go to church
b) Number of kids at public swimming pools
c) Number of marriage license applications
d) Amount of trash collected from residents
18. Oklahoma farmers and ranchers are being urged to:
a) Vaccinate their horses against the West Nile virus.
b) Grow less corn because it causes more thunderstorms.
c) Donate bales of hay to veterinarians caring for rescued animals.
d) Teach their children how to rope a calf because there are no good rodeo cowboys anymore.
19. What popular New Orleans/Oklahoma City Hornet was signed by Milwaukee?
a) Chris Paul
b) Tyson Chandler
c) Chris Andersen
d) Desmond Mason
20. Per capita, what is Oklahoma’s rank in terms of federally declared disasters?
How did you do on the quiz? Here are the correct answers:
1-C; 2-B; 3-B; 4-C; 5-D; 6-D; 7-B; 8-C; 9-A; 10-A; 11-C; 12-A; 13-D; 14-A; 15-B; 16-B; 17-C; 18-A; 19-D; 19-D; 20-A