How closely have you been following the news in the past week or so? This is your chance to find out. From The Oklahoman’s news copy editors and designers, here’s a quiz:
1. If the socialist candidate for president in France wins a runoff, the candidate will be France’s:
a) First Jewish president
b) First president who also competed on “Survivor”
c) First socialist president
d) First woman president
2. What baseball player hit his 740th home run, bringing him within 16 home runs of breaking Hank Aaron’s record?
a) Hank Blalock
b) Barry Bonds
c) Roy Hobbs
d) Sam “Mayday” Malone
3. Glass vials containing a mysterious chemical were uncovered last week by digging at Great Salt Plains National Wildlife Refuge. They caused eye and lung irritation, and are thought to be remnants of Army operations at the site during World War II. Many visitors to the refuge dig, looking for:
a) Iron pyrite
b) Bauxite ore
c) Calcite formations
d) Selenite crystals
4. Last week, the Dow Jones industrial average reached a level it had never seen before. What was that level?
5. For the first time, astronomers have discovered a planet outside our solar system that is potentially habitable. What are they calling the planet?
a) Earth Jr.
6. A newly discovered mineral with the same composition as kryptonite would possibly cripple which comic book character?
a) Green Lantern
c) Captain America
7. The nation was sent into another food scare when:
a) Rats were found in more fast-food restaurants
b) Hogs were quarantined after eating tainted food
c) Salmonella found in peanut butter — again
d) A shortage of wheat was announced
8. Which celebrity participated in a New York police sting operation targeting would-be sexual predators?
a) Miss America Lauren Nelson
b) Miss Oklahoma Lindsey Miller
c) Barbara Walters
d) Rosie O’Donnell
9. At the annual Oklahoma FFA convention, it was noted there likely will be a shortage of what in the next few years?
a) Farm land
b) Tractor fuel
c) Switch grass
d) Ag teachers
10. Gov. Brad Henry signed House Bill 1669 designating what as the state vegetable?
11. Oklahoma native and American Idol winner Carrie Underwood recently visited which country for a charity special?
a) South Africa
12. David Boren, president of the University of Oklahoma, has been forced to defend his university for:
a) Placing a memorial paver bearing the name of the student who blew himself up.
b) Placing a memorial paver honoring Katie Couric
c) Its role in the latest football recruiting scandal
b) Its role in the latest basketball recruiting scandal
13. The new Oklahoma City Public Schools Superintendent says he’d like to close student achievement gaps by:
a) Implementing a data-collection system to analyze student performance
b) Improving the rewards system for excellent student performance
c) Getting the clashing groups under control at the new John Marshall High School
d) Spending more money on basics
14. Folks in the state, including Gov. Brad Henry, are upset because the designs being considered for Oklahoma’s commemorative quarter left what out of the likeness of the Pioneer Woman?
a) Shocks of wheat
b) Purse on her arm
c) Bible under her arm
d) Son at her side
15. Iranian officials have told women they must do what?
a) Take gun-safety lessons from police or military officers
b) Join their neighborhood garden club and grow vegetables, including watermelons
c) Stop showing so much hair and stop wearing overcoats that are too
d) Study the works of William Shakespeare and Mark Twain
How did you do on the quiz? Here are the answers:
1-D; 2-B; 3-D; 4-B; 5-B; 6-D; 7-B; 8-A; 9-D; 10-A; 11-A; 12-A; 13-A; 14-C; 15-C