I greatly enjoyed my experiences at the Oklahoman. I got (somewhat) used to Oklahoma, and met a lot of interesting people.
For future interns, some advice:
1. The company cars (or some of them) are very… flamboyant. You’ll be representing the paper throughout the summer but you’ll really be representing whenever you drive one of those cars.
2. You’ll probably get lost at least once going to the cafeteria. I think it took us about a week or so before we got used to it. Or you can just go to Sala Thai which was our favorite lunch spot (we still got lost going there too).
3. Get to know people outside of your department. I did and I had a lot of fun conversations and got to provide input for things outside of what I would normally do. And they tell you about the good stuff (free food/book grabs etc.).
4. CCI is crazy. And crashes a lot or freezes or is otherwise troublesome. Get used to it.
5. Features and news are two different worlds. However, we do NOT have siestas on the ninth floor.
6. Never blog about bone marrow. Ever.
7. Work for other sections when you can. I think I hold the record for the number of different sections/editors I worked for.
8. There’s always something to do somewhere. Just ask.
9. Run people through the court system. My editor advised me to do so for some “model citizens” who were not quite upstanding after all.
10. Use Twitter. Most people at the paper have Twitter so that will keep you briefed on most happenings.