There’s a neat story in this week’s Home & Garden section about the yearly poinsettia sale at Oklahoma State University’s campus in Oklahoma City. It included the statement that poinsettias aren’t toxic to humans, as is commonly thought.
I wondered if it was safe for pets too. I’d like to get some plants this year but have three dogs and a cat, all known to sample a leafy lunch.
According to Dr. Sandra Morgan, an associate professor at OSU’s veterinary school, the pretty holiday plants have gotten a bad rap over the years.
“Like any plant, if a dog or cat eats too much of it, it will get ill,” she said. She warned that mistletoe is far more toxic to animals than poinsettias.
That’s good news for my pets — and my holiday decor. Not such good news for my husband, who won’t be getting any kisses under the mistletoe.
Susan Simpson, Education Writer