Pretty Black Chains
Here is a list of activities happening around Oklahoma for this weekend (April 30-May 2). For more events, go to www.wimgo.com.
- Hear Pretty Black Chains, Euclid Crash, the Mean Spirits and more at the Rock ‘n’ Roll Garage Sale and Show from noon to 8 p.m. Saturday at 66 Bowl, 3810 NW 39. Information: 946-2717 or www.myspace.com/rocknrollgaragesale.
- See the Oklahoma City Thunder take on the Los Angeles Lakers in Game 6 of their seven-game playoff series at 8:30 tonight at the Ford Center, 100 W Reno. The game will tip off no later than 8:30 p.m. Information: (800) 745-3000 or www.thunder.nba.com.
- GUTHRIE – Watch the Pollard Theatre, 120 W Harrison, stage “Thoroughly Modern Millie” at 8 p.m. today and Saturday and 2 p.m. Sunday. This is the closing weekend for the show. Information: www.thepollard.org.
- CONCHO — Roll with country duo Montgomery Gentry at 7:30 tonight at Lucky Star Casino, 7777 N U.S. 81. Information: 262-7612 or www.luckystarcasino.org.
- Nab Iron Man, Shrek, G.I. Joe and more Saturday during Free Comic Book Day. More than a dozen OKC metro locations will give away free comic books. Information: www.freecomicbookday.com. Also, click here to read what our pal Matt Price of Nerdage has to say about the Superman comic that will be given away on Free Comic Book Day today in his column Word Balloons.
- NORMAN – Hear country band Diamond Rio at 8 tonight at Riverwind Casino, 1544 W State Highway 9. Information: www.riverwind.com.
- TULSA — Catch Georgia jam band Widespread Panic at 7 p.m. Saturday at the BOK Center, 200 S Denver. Doors open at 6 p.m. Information: (866) 726-5287 or www.bokcenter.com.
- PRAGUE – Celebrate the town’s Czech heritage at the annual Prague Kolache Festival from 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. Saturday throughout the city. The event features delicious food (including, of course, those tasty kolaches) beautiful costumes, live music, dancing, arts and crafts, children’s activities, beer garden, wine and gourmet food pavilion featuring a polka band, 11 a.m. parade, chainsaw carver demonstrations, carnival, 7 p.m. polka street dance and fireworks. Information: www.praguekolachefestival.com.
- THACKERVILLE – Catch Train in concert at 8 tonight at WinStar World Casino, Interstate 35, Exit 1. Information: www.winstarworldcasino.com.
Cross Canadian Ragweed
- STILLWATER – Listen to country music and dine on calf fries at the 19th Annual Calf Fry, continuing at 8 tonight and 7:30 p.m. Saturday at Tumbleweed Dance Hall, Lakeview and Country Club roads. Tonight’s musical lineup includes Cross Canadian Ragweed, the Bellamy Brothers and Bo Phillips Band. Miranda Lambert, Wade Bowen, Corey Smith and Jagg will play the “Testicle Festival” Saturday. Information: (405) 377-0075 or www.calffry.com.
- NORMAN – Take in the work of more than 70 fine artists and craftsmen, along with food, children’s activities and more at the May Fair Arts Festival from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. today and Saturday and 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday in Andrews Park, 201 W Daws. Information: 321-9400 or www.mayfairartsfestival.com.
- See the Oklahoma City Repertory Theatre production of “The 39 Steps” at 8 tonight, 4 and 8 p.m. Saturday and 2 p.m. Sunday. This is the closing weekend for the show. Information: www.cityrep.com.
Kenny Wayne Shepherd
- TULSA – Listen to blues guitarist Kenny Wayne Shepherd at 7 tonight at Osage Million Dollar Elm Casino, 951 W 36 Street N. Information: (918) 699-7667 or www.milliondollarelm.com/event-center.
- Laugh along during this week’s OKC Improv showcase Saturday night at Ghostlight Theatre Club, 3110 N Walker. The 8 p.m. show will feature Stillwater troupe Cueless and a performance of “Villain: The Musical!” The 10 p.m. lineup will include all-girl troupe The MiDolls and Clint and Buck Vrazel’s “Twiprov: Rap City.” Information: www.okcimprov.com
- Listen to country singer-songwriter Eric Church with special guests the Joel Wilson Band at 7 tonight at the Diamond Ballroom, 8001 S Eastern. Information: 677-9169 or www.diamondballroom.net.
Coheed and Cambria
- TULSA & OKC – Rock along with progressive-metal band Coheed and Cambria at 8 tonight at Cain’s Ballroom, 423 N Main, or at 6:30 p.m. Saturday at the Diamond Ballroom, 8001 S Eastern. Information: www.cainsballroom.com or www.diamondballroom.net. To read Gene Triplett’s interview with guitarist Travis Stever, click here.
- EDMOND – See the work of 120 artists, hear live music, take in children’s activities and more at the Downtown Edmond Arts Festival from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. today and Saturday and 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday in downtown Edmond. Information: 249-9391 or www.downtownedmondok.com.
- EL RENO – Pay tribute to a toothsome treat at the 22nd annual Fried Onion Burger Day Festival from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Saturday in downtown. Eat plenty of these delicious delicacies, witness the cooking of the world’s largest fried onion hamburger, weighing more than 750 pounds, and take in rides, games, live entertainment, a car show, motorcycle show, eating contest, evening concert and more. Information: www.elrenoburgerday.com.
- NORMAN – Celebrate the 10th anniversary of the Sam Noble Oklahoma Museum of Natural History, Timberdell Road and Chautauqua Avenue, with free admission Saturday-Monday. Museum hours are 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Saturday and 1 to 5 p.m. Sunday. Information: www.snomnh.ou.edu.