Along with information about his songwriting style, his new CD and his storytelling tendencies, I learned these five fun facts about Poltz:
1. He loves to drink hot, black tea like Darjeeling, and he likes the “proper functionality” of having tea along with good discussion, little scones and little sandwiches with the crusts cut off. He also collects beautiful old tea cups, especially from the early 1900s.
He says, “That’s my favorite thing is to go out for tea. … Some people like to drink alcohol; I like to drink tea.”
2. He practices Bikram yoga to stay in shape. He said the consistency of that kind and the wide availability of studios offering classes in it make it easier to keep fit despite his virtual nonstop touring.
3. He frequently goes online to www.webster.com and loves to play with words. Current favorite words: feral, tableaux, impact and languid.
4. He enjoys airports. No, that’s not a typo. Here’s the quote to prove it:
“I feel really at home in airports. I love airports. Like, once I’ve gone through security. I like going into the magazine stores and getting a tea, and I’m sitting in there watching everybody go where they’re going. I can get my shoes shined. I don’t know what it is, I like airports.”
5. He and the band he’s touring with, the Truckee Brothers, are listening to the “Juno” soundtrack almost constantly these days. (Good choice.)